Thursday, 20 March 2014

Review: Silence by Natasha Preston


So I wanted to start off by saying that I got this book for my kindle from Amazon. It was a free book and you can find it here if you want to give it a read yourself.
I don't normally read the reviews that are posted on Amazon but I noticed that people had posted a lot of negative reviews for this book. There seemed to be two main problems so I just wanted to cover those quickly.

Firstly people were complaining that there were too many Americanism in the book when the story is supposed to be set in England. There are a couple, Oakley has a sweet sixteen and also visits a mall, I will admit that to me these things are american but who knows if some people in the UK have a sweet 16 or not? These terms are only mentioned once or twice and they are completely unimportant to the story that is about so much more than a party.

The second "complaint" that people had was the character descriptions. A few reviews said that there was not enough depth to the descriptions. I do not get this at all!! I love how the story focusses on Oakley and Cole as that is what matters. I'm not saying that the rest of the characters are not important but we don't need to know what colour earrings they are wearing or whatever.
Personally I enjoy having the freedom to use my imagination to view the characters in my head (maybe that's just me). 

So rant over what did I think of the book? 

Usually I hate romance books especially ones aimed at young adults but I am not 100% sure that I would class this book as a romance because there is so much more to this story.I found this book beautiful, Sad, Intriguing and Bitter sweet. The connection between Cole and Oakley was lovely and believable from the start.

This is one of the only books that I have enjoyed every single page without getting bored. 
I am in love with this book.

Em x