Tuesday, 1 April 2014

Review: Bird Box by Josh Malerman


Only Published in March this year Bird Box and is Josh Malerman's Debut Novel.

This book has a very interesting plot: Humans are dying because there are new "creatures" inhabiting the earth. One look at these creatures and people go mad! I liked the idea of this story before I started it but I did not know how addictive reading Bird Box would be. From start to finish I have been impatiently waiting for quiet moments to pick up this amazing book. The writing style is just my cup of tea its not too descriptive that it prevents me from using my own imagination and it would be a brilliant book to take if you had a long plane journey because it is just so addictive. 

The characters and their stories are very believable I began to really feel for Malorie and the children. Living the life that they were must have been very hard work. I love the bond that forms between Malorie and Tom and even though there is no real suggestion of a relationship, I believe there were feelings between the two at least.

This book left me terrified. Its not very often that I get the creeps from a book but this one had me wishing I had blankets over my windows like the characters in the book. In a situation like this I just don't think I would survive. Personally I enjoyed that the Creatures were not described at all in the book, Their presence was terrifying enough and I was able to imagine the most terrifying creature of all. I don't think that every single detail needs to be explained because it keeps you questioning and thinking about the book which is brilliant. 

Bird Box has a sort of happy ending which allows you to relax (which you will realise you have not done since you started reading). Knowing that Malorie and the children are going to be looked after makes everything else that happened OK. 
There will be a movie brought out based on Bird Box, Usually I do not enjoy a movie that is based on a book I have read because things get missed but I think that this book will make for an amazingly spooky movie. 

I would definitely suggest giving Bird Box a go and seeing what you think you can buy the book here:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0007529872?tag=promouk-21 
Its possible that this book alone will make you go a little bit mad! I have not stopped talking about it! 

Go get the book and let me know what you think!!

Em x