Saturday, 27 September 2014

Picking the dress for your biggest day

the-dos-and-donts-of-wedding-dress-shopping-boutique


On Tuesday I picked and paid for my wedding dress!! I was not excited to go wedding dress shopping before hand in fact I hated the idea of trying on tons of dresses and picking one that is supposed to be THE one. So here is a list of tips to help you through wedding dress shopping.

Book several appointments

Stupidly, I booked one appointment in the hope that it would be an in and out affair but this was not the case. for me it took three shops to find what I was looking for. I would also add to this point to do your research on the shop. I did not do any research and I wish I had. not only can you check out if they have many of the styles that you like in stock but you can possibly read reviews and checkout what the customer service skills are like.

Try different styles

If you have never tried wedding dresses on before then there is no way on earth for you to know what you like best and also what suits you best. my advice would be to try on lots of different styles. some might not work for you but some will make you feel amazing. use the process of elimination to decide what things are important in a dress this will help when you are asked what your likes and dislikes are.

Be yourself

no matter what you decide make sure that the dress you choose is 100% you. your friends and family can help you along the way to choosing your dress but one thing that I struggled with was the final decision. I love the dress that I have chosen but at first my friends and Family were very quiet. I wondered if they liked it, it turns out they love my dress. The point is nobody does you like you do and it is your smile that will make people love your dress. If you are happy then it will show.Don’t worry about the size. Wedding dress sizing can be totally different to what you’d expect. It’s about the FIT and your normal high street size can differ from gown size.

There are a few things to be aware of when heading out dress shopping. Firstly it takes a long time for shops to order a dress in for you  (up to 6 months). if you don't have that amount of time then you can usually order sample dresses but the choice is then limited to what they have in front of you. Secondly, alterations will cost extra so try to consider this when you are creating a budget for your dress. 

I hope this was helpful to some of you

Thanks for reading 

Em x