Monday, 20 October 2014

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi Review


    
I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
 
I bought this book with the cover above because this was in my opinion the prettier cover.
I finished this book in just a few sittings and once I got into the story (which did take a few chapters more than it usually does) I began to really enjoy the book. The plot to this book had a surprising twist right from the start I enjoyed trying to decide if Juliette was crazy or not. I got completely lost in the silence in Juliette's cell.
There are many many negative reviews for this book and it made me unsure whether to even bother reading as I was already in a negative place with Shatter me but I feel it has been reviewed unfairly. Yes Juliette is annoying, she is weepy, winey and faints all the time but if she wasn't would you have the same feelings throughout the book? I don't think so. Juliette is a character that that needs protecting and that is what Adam is there for.
At the moment paranormal romance and dystopian books are my favourite and Shatter Me combines all of this and more. The writing style was unique, I have never seen another author use strike through like Mafi did to express Juliette's emotions.
 
The one character I wasn't keen on was the villain which is a surprise because I normally love the bad guy but this villain reminded me of the little blond annoying king from games of thrones. I felt a little bit like someone should just push him over and it was hard to understand why everyone was doing what he is saying. I think that this is maybe part of his "Charm" though and obviously people are not supposed to like him.
 
I enjoyed how this book ended it makes me want to continue to see Adam and Juliette grow as character.
 
The physical book was very floppy even for a paperback and this I didn't like.
 
Tahereh Mafi is a young author and applaud her for success of this series of books.
 
Thanks For Reading
 
Em x