Monday, 27 October 2014

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares







An unforgettable epic romantic thriller about a girl from the future who might be able to save the world . . . if she lets go of the one thing she’s found to hold on to.

Follow the rules. Remember what happened. Never fall in love.

This is the story of seventeen-year-old Prenna James, who immigrated to New York when she was twelve. Except Prenna didn’t come from a different country. She came from a different time—a future where a mosquito-borne illness has mutated into a pandemic, killing millions and leaving the world in ruins. 

Prenna and the others who escaped to the present day must follow a strict set of rules: never reveal where they’re from, never interfere with history, and never, ever be intimate with anyone outside their community. Prenna does as she’s told, believing she can help prevent the plague that will one day ravage the earth. 

But everything changes when Prenna falls for Ethan Jarves. 




This book is about Time Travellers from the future coming back to 2010 to live. In the future people are dying from something called a blood plague and the aim is for this group of travellers to escape it.
I liked reading about how grim the future is and how technology advances through time. The future in this story was realistic and the horror that Prenna had faced was genuinely scary. I thought the plot was clever and imaginative. I enjoyed reading the book as a whole and it was quite a quick read for me.

Prenna is a great character in my opinion, She is feisty and inquisitive I feel like she knows who she is and unlike the other travellers she is not brainwashed. The plague is easily transferred from person to person and so it is against the rules to touch. Prenna was often unsure of the time and her surroundings as you would expect. Throughout the book there were letters from Prenna to her brother Julian and i really enjoyed this addition to the book they show Prenna is feeling about the new things she is encountering and the hope she feels about her new home. 

Ethan is the perfect boy who is cool and popular but takes pitty on people less fortunate or not as 'with it'. For me Ethan was a little bit too predictable and weak as far as lead characters go. I could have forgiven the weak character if he had been swoon worthy but for me he wasn't. Saying that, Ethan's plot was still enjoyable and I liked the interaction between him and Preena. 

I don't want to give anything away but I will say that I liked the ending and I do want to read the next in the series (by the ending I assume there will be a next book). I don't think this book deserves the negative reviews it has received and although its not my favourite book of the year I would recommend it to a friend.

Thanks For Reading
Em x