Wednesday, 15 October 2014

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin Reveiw

11408650


Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. 
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. 
She's wrong.


Firstly the cover of this book is absolutely stunning.Its intriguing and really makes you want to pick up this book and give it a go just for the artwork. I got through this book quickly, mostly in one long car journey and I really enjoyed the style in which the book was written. I really enjoyed the romance between Mara and Noah and found much of the plot between them to be funny. I found myself having a little giggle  on a couple of occasions. I got so wrapped up in the love story that I would have been happy with that so to have an extra element to the plot was a bonus really.

I liked that Noah wasn't immaculately dressed I thought this made him a little less typical. He was such a bad ass when sticking up for Mara that it was a little cringey but completely lovable. He has completely changed for Mara and stopped sleeping with the entire school population (don't all of us girls want to tame that bad boy?). I love the development of Noah throughout the book.

I liked Daniel as the perfect older brother. I liked that he was so perfect because this is how he looks from Mara's point of view and anyone with a sibling would recognise the feeling that they would get away with actual murder.

Now Mara, I liked her as a main character even if she was a bit of a train wreck. Mara makes bad decisions throughout the story but we all make bad decisions so this just made her more believable. She falls head over heels for Noah quickly and a lot of the plot is based around the romance the two share.Noah admits to being horrible to Mara's best friend Jamie in the past and it is brushed under the carpet, she knows he is an ass hole but she cant help how she feels. Mara is sassy and you see more of this as her confidence grows within her new surroundings. Mara's attraction to Noah builds slowly and to be honest I don't think she particularly likes him to start off with. The attraction was intense and often left me thinking oooh Noah.      

The story ends with a cliff hanger (quite a shocking one at that) which means I will 100% be picking up the second book in the series very soon.

Thanks For Reading

Em x