Sunday, 29 March 2015

The Duff by Kody Keplinger Review

6931356

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of the DUFF for review through NetGalley. 

Admittedly I probably would not have got round to purchasing this book for myself for a couple of reasons. Firstly I had decided that although there is a lot of hype surrounding The Duff it was not going to be my cup of tea. (I was Wrong) and Secondly the film is out really soon and I thought that might be good enough. 

This book was everything I could have asked for and more. It was funny, confusing, sad, romantic and honest through out. 

Bianca is told early on in the plot that she acts as the DUFF (designated ugly fat friend) to her best pals Jessica and Casey. At first she doesn't really care, it was only something that Wesley had said and she didn't like him anyway. I enjoyed Bianca's battle with her feelings towards the term Duff. Bianca struggles to forget what Wesley called her and the insecurity follows her, jumping out in unexpected ways. 

Bianca is pretty charmless to be honest but that is kind of why you love her so much, she doesn't change for anyone. I loved her anger and moodiness because it all felt honest. Bianca's home life is not ideal, her mum has left her dad and her dad is not taking it well. throughout all of this Bianca is strong and a little bit stubborn. In need of a distraction B decides its a good ideas to sleep with resident play boy Wesley Rush. 

Wesley was a lovely strong character. he is supportive of Bianca even when she says there is nothing between them and he does change, for the better. At first his character annoyed me a little, I didn't really get it. Wesley was not initially interested in Bianca he was chatting to her to get to her pals but once their relationship grew I understood him a little better and by the end of the book he was pretty darn swoon worthy.    

I liked the morals in this story.

* Don't change who you are for a boy (or for anyone). Be yourself because thats what the people who love you love you for.
* Follow your heart
* Fight for what you want and what you believe in. 

I think these are nice things to keep in mind not only for teenage readers but everyone could do with a reminder. 

Having seen the trailer for the Duff I cant see that it follows the book completely but then films are usually a bit different but I hope I enjoy the movie as much as I enjoyed the book.

Thanks For Reading

Em x