Tuesday, 25 August 2015

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) by Cassandra Clare

1582996

I read the first book in the mortal instruments series a little while ago (maybe a year ago?) and only just got around to picking up the next part in the series. This is partly because of the relationship between Jace and Clary, It grossed me out and I didn't want to read any more about it but still I went ahead and picked it up.

Clary's mum is still in coma from the last book so Luke is now looking after Clary. Clary doesn't seem all that bothered that her mum is in hospital and in a matter of fact only visits her around 3 times in the book until the end when it all gets very serious. This for me is unrealistic. I think that Clary should of spent a lot more time at the hospital and a lot less time moping around after Jace or Simon. 
At the beginning of the book Clary and Simon were trying out a boyfriend/ Girlfriend relationship which didn't work for me personally because Simon was just too nice and it was a bit sickening but the there was the whole Jace thing.
Clary and Jace as much as declare there love for one another in front of everyone but nobody bats an eyelid. they are just all cool about it. NO. its not cool!! now i assume at some point along in the series we are going to find out that Clary and Jace are in actual fact not siblings (at least that's what I hope for) but still!!.

So far the series is reminding me of a PG version of True Blood which is fine because True Blood was one of my favourite series to read and to watch. There are faeries and werewolves and vampires and all sorts of crazy demons to contend with and just like in the True Blood series this can become a little bit too much but I liked the variety and I think this helped keep the book speedy to read.

I thought Simon was great in this book. He was angry when he should be and kind when he should be and he dealt with all the changes like you would expect him too. His relationship with Clary was a little off for me as i said. I think they are obviously not going to be the romance in this series so they need to just be friends. I do enjoy the relationship between Simon and Jace though. I like that they kind of don't like each other but then Jace doesn't seem to really like anyone except for Clary. 

Luke is my favourite character at the moment by far. He is grown up but not boring and his background is really interesting. The love he expresses for Clary's mum seems real. In my head he is a kind of Alcied (True Blood obviously) character and we all love a bit of Alcied.


I think the first book was miles better than the second book and for that reason and that I have purchased the entire series, I will continue on with hope that it will get better. The pacing was a lot better in this book than the first but that could be due to the required world building in the first book.

All Moaning aside I am going to read the next book and see how I feel after that.

Thanks For Reading 

Em x