Thursday, 4 February 2016

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

18712886

An untested young princess must claim her throne, learn to become a queen, and combat a malevolent sorceress in an epic battle between light and darkness in this spectacular debut—the first novel in a trilogy.


Young Kelsea Raleigh was raised in hiding after the death of her mother, Queen Elyssa, far from the intrigues of the royal Keep and in the care of two devoted servants who pledged their lives to protect her. Growing up in a cottage deep in the woods, Kelsea knows little of her kingdom's haunted past . . . or that its fate will soon rest in her hands.










I listened to this book through Audible.com and it was the first full audio book that I have tried, I listened to it on the way too and from work in small chunks and I like that I can listen to a book while driving. The speaker for this audio book was a little bit odd I must admit and some of the accents she used were a little distracting but over all I am a fan of audio books.

Now down to the story.......

The plot was a little slow to start off with but I did find that it picked up about half way through.
I liked the world building and enjoyed imagining the lovely scenery. One of my favourite things about the story was that it is not based around a soppy love triangle, in fact there is little to no swooning at all. Although I hope that something does develop with Penn and Kelsea. 

The story was based around young Kelsea who finds out at the beginning of the story that she is destined to be the queen of the Tearling. I liked Kelsea because she seemed to realise pretty early on that she was going to have to be strong and brave to get through the journey and if she couldn't be brave then she needed to fake it. I also liked that Kelsea wasn't a beautiful princessy kind of girl she was a bit plain Jane.

I think that all of the characters were interesting in their own individual way and it made the main characters really memorable.

So considering that I didn't think I would like this story and that the lady reading had funny voices I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks For Reading

Em x
emmacoxy88@gmail.com